Pages

Sunday 20 August 2017

Dutch Man Starts Cleaning Up Pollution And Inspires Others To Do The Same (19 pics)


Tommy Kleyn from the Netherlands was sick and tired of looking at a polluted waterfront everyday on his way to work. He decided to clean it up himself, vowing to fill one garbage bag every single day until the waterfront was clean. As he started doing this, other people joined in, motivated by his ambition for a cleaner environment.

“Everyday, I ride my bicycle to work along the river bank. It’s a nice route to ride, except for one part.”

“A stretch of the river bank is covered in plastic bottles and other pieces of (mainly) plastic trash.”

“This is the littered part”:

“The trash annoyed me very much, so, I decided to start picking them up.”
“It took me about 30 minutes to fill one garbage bag with trash.”
“But, one bag doesn’t really make a dent in an area as polluted as this.” 
“I vowed to fill one bag of trash each day I passed the spot.”

“The area between the arrows was clean at this point. This is the progress made in only 6 days”

“I shared my experiences on Facebook and now, over 180 people ‘like’ the project”

“A lot of people were all like ‘There should be more people like you!'”

“And there were: this is my friend Rick helping out”

The Contrast

“The location was next to a bike path, and quite a few people got off their bikes and said what a great initiative this was.”
“The trash tried to communicate with me”
“The last garbage bag”

“In 22 bags of trash, this is the only item I deemed worth keeping.”
“The idea is to motivate people to fill one garbage bag with litter each year.”
“It only takes 30 minutes, it really makes a difference and you will be amazed about how good you’ll feel afterwards.”
“An Eurasian Coot started nesting in the part which I cleaned.”

No comments:

Post a Comment