Friday, 9 June 2017

Teen shot dead in front of Detroit high school — over pair of Air Jordans

A Detroit 17-year-old was shot dead and his 21-year-old friend injured after the two met up with someone to sell a pair of Air Jordan shoes in front of Loyola High School.

Police believe the two met the suspect online and arranged to sell the shoes near the school around 2 p.m. on Tuesday, when the buyer got into the back seat of a silver SUV driven by the 17-year-old, Fox 2 reports.
As the deal went down, a fight reportedly broke out and both the suspect and the 21-year-old – who was in the passenger’s seat – pulled out guns to settle the dispute, police allege.
“The 17-year-old driver was struck in the head and chest during the shooting and the passenger wounded,” according to Fox 2. “It is unclear if the backseat passenger was hit. He then fled the scene.”
The SUV driven by the teen crashed in front of the high school, which was placed on lockdown as police responded to what was initially reported as a car accident.
When police arrived, they found both the 17- and 21-year-old in the street with multiple gunshot wounds. The 17-year-old was found dead, while the wounded 21-year-old was taken to the hospital in serious condition. The shoes were gone, but officers found two guns at the scene.
“It’s a horrible feeling,” an unidentified parent told Fox 2. “I didn’t know it was this close. I thought it was maybe on the main street, but I didn’t know it was this close right in front of the school.”
Police report that none of those involved in the shootout are students at the school.
Officers told CBS Detroit they arrested a 19-year-old man in the shooting, but did not release the suspect’s name.
Jeri Copeland, mother of a Loyola High School student, told WDIV she heard about the incident via text message from her son.
“’A guy was laying on the ground dead. We don’t know if he was ran over or shot. I’m OK> School is on lockdown, just wanted to keep you updated,’” Copeland read from her son’s text Tuesday. “And then, I said, ‘OK, is it close to the school?’ He said, ‘Yes, police still might be out there. Don’t come and get me. I’ll ask if students can leave the school.’ And then he said, ‘They can’t leave, they’re on lockdown.’”
School officials also sent a text message to parents that read: “Currently we are on a school-wide lockdown. We are all OK, but students are not permitted to leave. Any questions, call the office.”
The lockdown was eventually lifted shortly after 4 p.m. and students were released from the building.