The Stone Bridge was built in eleven years, completing in 1146, and remained the only bridge across the river in Regensburg for more than 800 years. While the bridge was being built, a small building attached to the city wall served as the construction office. Once the bridge was completed, the office was closed and the building became a restaurant named "Garkueche auf dem Kranchen", literally, “food stall near the crane”, as it was situated near the then river port. For centuries, the tavern provided slow-simmered meat to dockers, sailors and the staff of the nearby St. Peter cathedral workshop.
Exactly when the simmered meat was replaced by finer sausages is not known, but it’s believed that the transition happened towards the end of the 18th century or the early 19th century when the restaurant was taken over by a new owner. Charcoal grilled sausages served with rolls made with caraway seeds, home-made sauerkraut and mustard became the main dish which prevails to this day. As many as 6,000 sausages are served by the kitchen to guests every day. During the high tourist season in summer, additional wooden benches and tables are laid out in front of the tiny building.
The “Historic Sausage Kitchen” currently occupies another building, not far from its original location. The place was shifted in the 17th century.